Friday, May 27, 2011

Vacation!

We spent the first part of the week in Iowa with my mother. Mostly a good trip, though we had one night of terrible weather which brought back my storm phobia with a vengeance! Part of the problem is that they now sound the sirens for any severe weather, not just tornadoes. To me that is crazy! It's going to send folks back to the 70s when they sounded the sirens for tornado watches and people stopped taking them seriously. Sirens are going off and I am freaking out in the basement while my mom is puttering in the kitchen, totally unconcerned. According to the weather folks, they sound the sirens to warn people out of doors to seek shelter. After that it is up to the person to listen to a weather radio or watch TV to determine how severe the storm is! Great until you lose TV because of the weather and have no clue....

I'm sorry, but when I was a kid the sirens went off as a warning of an imminent tornado and to take cover immediately, not as a notice to turn on your bloody TV and check the weather.

Anyhoo.... Other than that night, the weather cooperated and we had a lovely time. We drove up the river and ALL THE WAY TO DAVENPORT (several times even!).

But I have to say I am happy to be home. Not sure I could live in the midwest anymore. The temp is the same here today as it in Bettendorf, and yet here it feels wonderfully comfortable. In Bettendorf it was muggy :( Blech. 7% humidity versus 70% humidity, we win, lol.

I don't go back to work until Tuesday. So today we bought some flowers and planted them for the patio. We also planted the starter plants my mom sent back with us. Wish I knew what the heck they are. They have narrow dark green waxy leaves and lovely clusters of small pink waxy flowers, if that rings a bell with anyone please let me know ;)

No comments:

For me.

It's been a long winter. Mentally, I feel even worse off than I was before, though things are finally looking up. I abandoned the gym. I...