Thursday, January 22, 2009

Call me a pessimist if you want but

I prefer to think of myself as a realist. I'm thrilled that G.W. is gone. Oh so thrilled. But I'm also pretty darned sure that Obama comes without a magic wand. I'm almost positive he's a muggle like the rest of us...

Yes, change is good. Yes, I voted for Obama and I do think change is coming. But it took things a long time to get this screwed up. It's going to take a long time and more than one man to get it all straightened out again. Honestly, I actually feel sorry for Obama, because he has a long row to hoe and very high expectations to live up to.

Most blogs and comments to blogs I've seen make me think people either think the man is a saint (which I think he would be the first to admit is not the case) or that he's gonna wave his non-existent magic wand and things are going to be better over night.

Let's be realistic here. He's one man working with at least 535 other people (the House of Representatives and Senate, not to mention cabinet members, advisors, and other world leaders...) that all have their own interests and opinions. Even with a longer than usual presidential "honeymoon" period like experts are predicting, when does government ever move quickly?

Change'll do you good and I believe it's coming, but don't expect too much too soon from this one single person. Give the man the chance, and the time he needs.

No comments:

For me.

It's been a long winter. Mentally, I feel even worse off than I was before, though things are finally looking up. I abandoned the gym. I...